Spending time with your son in the wilderness can be one of the most meaningful bonding experiences that you will ever remember.
A 4-hour backpacking trek to the top of a mountain, learning and actually practicing survival shelters, water purification, fire making, survival tools, and baking flatbreads will be all part of the adventure that you and your son will enjoy.
August 27th – 28th 2020
Begins, Thursday 9 am: Must be at Trailhead For Gear Distribution
Ends, Friday 3 pm
- Led by Rabbi Zev Freundlich
– 25 years experienced Backpacking Guide and Wilderness Survivalist
– Menahel of Yeshiva Shaarei Arazim of Monsey
– Founder of Yaalozu Wilderness Survival Camp
- All backpacking, orienteering, and camping gear
- $200 per adult and $150 per child
- You must bring your own food
When registering, please make sure to include your cell phone number and email address that you can be reached at for timely updates
What you need to bring for EACH MEMBER OF YOUR TEAM:
- Comfortable sneakers
- Comfortable hiking clothes; preferably non-cotton
- Rain jacket or poncho (it will rain!)
- Bug spray
- 3 black garbage bags for waterproofing
- Pillow, sleeping bag, or thick blanket (for extra padding below and warmth, the temperature can go down in the 50’s.)
- Siddur, Tallis & Tefillin
- Personal hygiene, teeth hygiene, hand towel, toilet paper/ tissues as needed in a small Ziploc bag, etc. Please remember: We will be camping in the deep woods. There are no bathrooms or running water. Please think it through now, and prepare of what else you might need.
- Warm sweatshirt, sleeping and/or lounge clothing and footwear (the trail will be wet and muddy, you will want to change into something warm and dry, for feet also..like crocs).
- Optional: hiking pole, cap, pocket knife, lighter, sleeping pad, camelback, or other hydration systems.
- Bring 2 of each; Forks, Knives, hot cups, and plates for supper and breakfast. Put them in big Ziploc.
- Salt, pepper packets for potatoes, sugar packets for coffee. 1 packet of coffee. Small bag of powdered milk for coffee. Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise for supper/ lunch and/or grilled cheese for breakfast, put them all in a small Ziploc bag.
- 1 small hand sanitizer.
- Take at least 3 liters of water. (we will purify water from a stream)
- For Lunch (2 days- 4 sandwiches)
– For tuna; take bread in a small Ziploc bag and take tuna airtight packets (or cans)
- Fruit for 2 lunches, supper, and breakfast; put them in big Ziploc bag.
- For Supper
– 1 piece of precooked frozen Chicken; Pack them in a big Ziploc bag.
– Potatoes for baking. Take tin foil and wrap one layer around each potato
– Corn on the Cob (no tin foil needed) it’s cooks fairly quick,
– Mac or Cortland apple for baked apple, Take tin foil and wrap one layer around each apple
- For Breakfast – Take 1 sandwich bag with cheese (for grilled cheese on a pita).
– Take 1 Piece of tin foil for grilled pita, cheese and ketchup packet for over the fire for breakfast.
– Pitas for breakfast; put pitas and the tin foil in a big Ziploc bag.
– Vegetable for breakfast put in Ziploc bag.
- Optional: Energy snacks and drinks, candy, marshmallows for fire (we supply trail mix)
- Survival Knives
- Map and Compass
- Bungy cord
- 1 Cornish Hen per team
- Survival bread for supper
9:00 am – Gear distribution
10:00 am – Map and compass- Part 1
10:30 am – Backpack up mountain
12:00 pm – Reach the Rock Fortress
12:30 pm – Camp set up
1:00 pm – Lunch break
1:30 pm – Finding drinkable water
2:00 pm – Rope & lashing
3:30 pm – Shelter making
4:30 pm – Wilderness tool making
5:30 pm – Baking wilderness bread
6:00 pm – Food prep
6:30 pm – Supper
8:00 pm – Maariv
9:30 pm – Night Navigation & Hike
10:15 pm – Kumzitz under the Stars
8:00 am – Shacharis
9:00 am – Food prep
9:30 am – Breakfast
10:00 am – Knife and whittling
10:45 am – Fire making
12:45 pm – Pack-up camp
1:15 pm – Map and compass- Part II
1:45 pm – Hike back to the trailhead
2:45 pm – Reach Parking lot