July 10-11, 2022
- 24-hour trip
- The hike starts: Sunday, July 10 @ 12 pm*
Please note, you must be at Town Tinker Tube Rental – 10 Bridge St., Phoenicia, NY 12464 at 10 am sharp for gear distribution and packing!
- End: Monday, July 11 @ 12 pm
*Please note, we will be traveling in light rain, but in case of heavy rain, we’ll make a rain date.
- Led by Zev Freundlich
– 25 years experienced Backpacking Guide and Wilderness Survivalist
– Founder and CEO of Teamcorp
– Founder of Yaalozu Wilderness Survival Camp
- A hatzolah member will be joining us on the trip
- Three group levels: fast, medium, slow with an assigned professional guide to each group
- Limited to 24 slots
- All backpacking, orienteering, and camping gear – $200
- You must bring your own food
- Hatzolah members 50% off* (limit to 2)
*Hatzolah members 50% off; is only if they are willing to assist in an emergency, carry medical gear and other extra gear if need arises.
- Comfortable sneakers
- Comfortable hiking clothes; preferably non-cotton
- Rain poncho
- Bug spray
- Travel size hand sanitizers
- 3 black garbage bags for waterproofing
- Pillow, sleeping bag, or thick blanket (for extra padding below and warmth, the temperature can go down in the 40-50s.)
- Siddur, Tallis & Tefillin
- Personal hygiene, teeth hygiene, hand towel, toilet paper/ tissues as needed in a small ziplock bag, etc. Please remember: We will be camping in the deep woods. There are no bathrooms or running water. Please think it through now, and prepare for what else you might need.
- Warm sweatshirt, sleeping, and/or lounge clothing and footwear (the trail can be wet and muddy, you might want to change into something like crocs).
- Optional: hiking pole, cap, pocket knife, lighter, whistle, camelback, or other hydration systems.
- Bring 2 of each; Forks, Knives, hot cups, and plates for supper and breakfast. Put them in big ziplock.
- Salt, pepper packets for potatoes, sugar packets for coffee. 1 packet of coffee. Small bag of powdered milk for coffee. Ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise for supper/ lunch, and/or grilled cheese for breakfast, put them all in a small ziplock bag.
- 1 small hand sanitizer.
- Take at least 6 liters of water.
- For Lunch (2 days- 4 sandwiches)
– For tuna; take bread in a small ziplock bag and take tuna airtight packets (or cans)
- Fruit for 2 lunches, supper, and breakfast; put them in a big ziplock bag.
- For supper:
– 2 pieces of precooked frozen Chicken; wrap them in a heavy duty tin foil and pack in a big ziplock bag.
– Hotdogs (packed the same way as chicken – tin foil + ziplock bag).
– Potatoes for baking. Take some tin foil and wrap one layer around each potato.
– Corn on the Cob (no tin foil needed) it’s cooks fairly quick, pitas for supper; put in a big ziplock bag.
– Mac or Cortland apple for baked apple, Take some tin foil and wrap one layer around each apple
- For Breakfast – Take 1 sandwich bag with cheese (for grilled cheese on a pita).
– Take 1 Piece of tin foil for grilled pita and cheese over the fire for breakfast.
– Pitas for breakfast; put pitas and the tin foil in a big ziplock bag.
– Vegetables for breakfast put in ziplock bags.
- Optional: Energy snacks and drinks, candy, marshmallows for fire.
- Tents (4-5 people per tent)
- Inflatable sleeping pad
10:00 am sharp MUST be at Town Tinker Tube Rental – 10 Bridge St., Phoenicia, NY 12464 for gear distribution, food prep and packing.
12:00 pm – Begin ascent of Wittenberg Mountain
1:30 pm – Lunch break
4:00 pm – Reach summit of Wittenberg Mountain
4:15 pm – Mincha
4:30 pm – Begin hike to Cornell Mountain
5:00 pm – Reach summit of Cornell Mountain
6:00 pm – Reach camping area
6:30 pm – Set-up camp
7:00 pm – Fire, food and water preparation
7:30 pm – Supper
8:30 pm – Maariv
8:45 pm – Kumzitz
7:00 am – Shacharis
8:00 am – Take-down camp and repack
8:30 am – Fire, food and water preparation
8:45 am – Breakfast
9:15 am – Start ascent of Slide Mountain
11:00 am – Reach summit of Slide Mountain
11:15 am – Start descent of Slide Mountain
12:00 pm – Reach Slide Mountain trailhead
12:15 pm – Lunch and regroup for transportation